Sunday 26 July 2015

The beauty of screens...

Room dividing screens are a lost form of art in the home.  You only need to look at a period costume drama like Downton or Poirot  to see the important role they played in interiors in former times.  Not only are they decorative, but also practical in these modern times when apartment living can be cramped with children sharing rooms etc.
 
Coco Chanel was a great fan of Chinese or Coromandel screens and it is believed she owned 32 folding screens.   

 “I’ve loved Chinese screens since I was eighteen years old…I nearly fainted with joy when, entering a Chinese shop, I saw a Coromandel for the first time…Screens were the first thing I bought…” (Quoted in “Chanel Solitaire” by Claude Delay – Gallimard – 1983 p.12)

Image from Chanel News 29.06.10

I am hoping to revive the love of the screen and bring a range to suit everyone's home and style -
whether they be elegant, coastal, arty or cool.

Any requests or suggestions?

Screen featuring Bethany Linz 'The Great Shalimar' fabric.  Screen is backed with natural linen weave.

Screen and Bethany Linz products at 'Life in Style' Sydney 2015
 

No comments:

Post a Comment